Updated version of the Pledge of Allegiance
In honor of Independence Day 2018, I think it fitting to publish a new and more relevant version of the Pledge of Allegiance that acknowledges the fealty demanded by the President of the United States from the Republican Party, especially the members of Congress, the Government’s propaganda arm—Fox (Really-Really-Fake) News—and his “base.” To all those sycophants, it is time to memorize the following:
I pledge allegiance to Donald J. Trump and the fascist state he seeks to create and rule, a nation divided, lacking civility, integrity, or adherence to the Constitution, with liberty and justice only for those who pay him tribute with praise, worship or currency.
Dangers to the security of the United States
So, to all who have sold their souls for a Supreme Court Justice, tax cuts for the wealthy, reductions in entitlements, reversal of climate change regulations, and imposition of tariffs, you have emboldened a President who desires to rule like the dictators he envies. Through ignorance or blatant corruption, Trump has endangered the security of the United States by:
- Failing to acknowledge Russian interference in the 2016 election and then failing to authorize action by the relevant agencies to defend against future cyber-attacks by Russia and other unfriendly countries.
- Attacking our allies in NATO and the G7, destroying the unity of these organizations and threatening to undermine the very purpose for their existence.
- Bringing the United States to the edge of a trade war with allies and others that could negatively affect the U.S. economy.
- Withdrawing from a multilateral agreement with Iran and doing nothing to compensate for the significant safeguards against nuclear proliferation contained in that agreement.
- Falsely asserting there is no longer a nuclear threat from North Korea, only to later acknowledge the threat still exists.
- Demonstrating he is a terrible negotiator, “played” by the North Korean dictator Kim Jung Un into attending a woefully under-planned summit meeting where he increased the dictator’s stature and unilaterally halted war games with our South Korean allies—receiving nothing in return.
- Destroying the moral authority of the United States in the eyes of the world by treating immigrants seeking asylum here as criminals while implementing the draconian practice of removing children from their parents with no mechanism to reunite them.
And aside from the immediate dangers to the security of the United States, there are consequences we will face in the not too distant future:
- The need to substantially raise taxes and/or reduce entitlements to offset the huge deficits created by the ill-advised 2017 tax cuts that will never be paid for by growth.
- A lack of health care for the millions of citizens who have lost coverage as a result of Trump Administration policies.
- Stronger storms and more significant flooding because of climate change.
- The potential for the Supreme Court to reverse Roe v. Wade or, more catastrophically, eliminate the right to abortion. If that comes to pass, states that outlaw it will close all clinics that offered abortion along with other women’s healthcare services. Women who can afford to will then be forced to travel to other states or countries that permit it. Otherwise they will have to revert to the decades old practice of coat hangers and back room terminations.
The Not-So-Great America
This is what the future looks like and it doesn’t look like a Great America. So, sycophants, try to be more enthusiastic when you recite your new Pledge of Allegiance to Donald J. Trump. You certainly are not Pledging Allegiance to the United States of America.